Inspired by Day of the Dead Sugar Candy Skulls
Sugar skulls and many other forms of calavera are a popular feature of Day of the Dead celebrations throughout the world. Traditionally, sugar skulls are made of cane sugar that is molded in one piece and then decorated with line art, flowers, and often the name of a deceased loved one as a way of honoring them.
I drew inspiration from these designs to crochet my own version of the sugar skull. The pattern starts out with a fan to create the forehead, then you work on the opposite side to create the eyes, nose, cheeks, and teeth. Within the PDF pattern, I’ve included a very detailed step-by-step photo tutorial to guide you along. It’s a lot of fun to embellish these motifs with beads, embroidery, and crochet flowers to really make them look like sugar candy skulls.
Use these motifs to create scarves and purses. As appliques they can be sewn to just about anything. Try bags, mittens, hats, or even as elbow patches on a hoodie or sweater!
- 104215_2F2014-09-04-175230-Sugar+Candy+Skull+Crochet+Pattern+by+Jennifer+Olivarez.pdf 2.66 MB [ Download ]
- ZombieUnicorn favorited Sugar Candy Skull 14 Jan 22:27
- Lizjane G. favorited Sugar Candy Skull 05 Nov 00:28
- Conni M. favorited Sugar Candy Skull 12 Sep 23:29
- Karen K. favorited Sugar Candy Skull 20 May 23:07
- Alex2:a L. favorited Sugar Candy Skull 31 Jan 11:20
- Kinhime Dragon added Sugar Candy Skull to crochet 25 Dec 19:42
- AlterEgo Designs favorited Sugar Candy Skull 14 Nov 21:55
- Tierra T. favorited Sugar Candy Skull 14 Oct 17:07
- Cindy S. favorited Sugar Candy Skull 13 Jul 15:42
- Laila M. favorited Sugar Candy Skull 01 Jul 07:40
Download the PDF