Like the original, hate the price? Try this DIY!
My mom has all these extra fabrics and scraps because she used to have her own sewing business and I thought it was awful that these leather, suede, and snakeskin scrappies were sitting around so I had to show them some love. You could make any animal you choose besides an owl, I thought this would be a nice technique to show to see what other people make! I ONLY used the tiniest scraps that I found that I thought could be made into NOTHING else. I found the perfect colors to make a different version of the Sherwood Owl bag by Kate Spade.
- Trisha J. favorited Kate Spade Owl Purse 27 Nov 04:23
- Danette C. favorited Kate Spade Owl Purse 30 Nov 20:54
- Krypt0nit added Kate Spade Owl Purse to Diy 18 Aug 20:05
- Lexi H. favorited Kate Spade Owl Purse 15 Apr 04:28
- Johnna C. added Kate Spade Owl Purse to DIY I Need to Try! 09 Apr 05:02
- Claire M. favorited Kate Spade Owl Purse 30 Dec 01:13
- Tori K. favorited Kate Spade Owl Purse 29 Nov 03:43
- zoegirl221 favorited Kate Spade Owl Purse 18 Sep 00:09
- zoegirl221 added Kate Spade Owl Purse to Bag 15 Sep 05:45
- notdeadredhead favorited Kate Spade Owl Purse 18 Jul 03:53
Find some tiny pieces of leather or anything to decorate your bag with. If you do not use leather or suede, you need to find stuff that does not fray if you don't want your bag to be a little hairy. I used all the stuff that could not be used for other stuff. Some had stickers or prints on it and other scraps were super tiny. Better to be used instead of being wasted, right???
Making the owl (or any other animal) is a simple matter of geometry. Here are all the shapes you need for the eyes, eyebrows, and beak of the owl. I then cut little holes in the middle of the circles to makes sure that the button would fit snug into the circles. Then just start supergluing the leather to the bag. I used an amazing glue- it was the E6000.
So once you have all the main parts of the owl in place, you can add other patches to balance out the bird. I added small pieces of suede to make the bag look more detailed. Then I did the blanket stitch around the suede pieces to add more feathery looking details. Here is a link to a youtube video on how to do the blanket stitch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJht13Bcw-U