Add metallic tips to a plain pair of combat boots
***Recommended: Do this project outdoors/in a well ventilated space!***
I've been wanting to add "metal" tips to a pair of brown combat boots for quite some time, but knew I didn't want to use acrylics or spray paint. I was looking for something for metallic looking - almost chrome - that had that bright finish. Chrome spray paint would probably work, but I liked the idea of being able to control the paint with a brush. After a few rounds at my local Michael's trying to hunt something down, I came across Martha Stewart's Liquid Gilding. JUST what I needed. I chose Gold, but it's also available in Brass, Copper and Silver. Count on Martha to save the day.
- Mnemosyn added Gold Tip Combat Boots to Rock and roll 13 Jun 16:23
- Thaty F. favorited Gold Tip Combat Boots 24 Aug 17:33
- Maggie R. added Gold Tip Combat Boots to 90s Goddess 08 Mar 15:57
- dazedandbeautiful .. added Gold Tip Combat Boots to Kylie Jenner 21 Jun 15:37
- Marjla favorited Gold Tip Combat Boots 29 Oct 21:31
- LunaBunni91 favorited Gold Tip Combat Boots 06 Oct 17:00
- Crimsaros added Gold Tip Combat Boots to Final fantasy Tifa Lockhart 15 Sep 17:19
- rawnoodles favorited Gold Tip Combat Boots 21 May 18:24
- Maxine M. added Gold Tip Combat Boots to To-make list 13 Apr 16:09
- Stitches favorited Gold Tip Combat Boots 27 Jan 01:39
- Martha Stewart Liquid Gilding (About $7 at Michael's)
- Masking and/or electrical tape
- Soft bristled paint brush
- Combat boots, or shoes of your choice
- Scrap newspaper/magazines and popsicle stick (not shown)
- Nail polish remover and cotton swabs, optional
You'll also need an open, well ventilated space to work in. Outside is probably the best bet!
4) Let dry at least 24 hours, then remove the tape. In order to fix up mistakes, you can use a cotton swab dipped in nail polish remover to remove any stray liquid gilding.
If possible, try not to wear your gold (or silver/brass/copper) tip boots when it's raining/snowing (I waited until it was done raining to take this picture!) - This will help keep that metallic luster of the liquid gilding.
Enjoy your new autumn boots!