Make your own felt citrus coasters!
This project was great fun, especially since it allows for a wonderful range of colours, too. :)
This was inspired by The Purl Bee's "Molly's Sketchbook: Citrus Coasters" available here: http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2011/6/23/mollys-sketchbook-citrus-coasters.html
- Taylor T. favorited Felt Citrus Coasters 15 Oct 09:50
- Miss_Fit favorited Felt Citrus Coasters 07 Jul 13:58
- PunkyFunk added Felt Citrus Coasters to DIY the Room 22 Jun 20:33
- mmotse03 favorited Felt Citrus Coasters 28 Aug 21:54
- LISETH C. favorited Felt Citrus Coasters 19 Aug 22:20
- marilyn.semple.3 added Felt Citrus Coasters to Felt 17 Aug 19:02
- tyler t. favorited Felt Citrus Coasters 16 Aug 07:05
- HylianWriter534 favorited Felt Citrus Coasters 03 Aug 06:15
- Suzi T. favorited Felt Citrus Coasters 30 Jul 14:42
- B* published her project Felt Citrus Coasters 20 Jul 05:47
For each coaster set, ensure that you have:
(i) two larger circles of coloured felt (I used green, yellow, dark orange and pink for my citrus set),
(ii) one smaller circle of white for the pith and
(iii) seven or eight small triangular segments (as shown).
Note: I made two coasters of the same colour per set, so if you were to try out three more colours, you would get eight mini coasters.
Cut the outer edge of the eight triangular segments so that they are curved at the ends like so.
Also, cut out small triangles in at least two to three of these segments for the 'seeds.'
(One way to do this would be to fold it (lengthwise) into two and cutting a half triangle in the segment.)
Next, place the white circle of felt onto one of the larger green felt circle.
Pin or tack the smaller coloured felt segments on the white pith or felt circle, ensuring that you position them with a border of white pith around every segment.
Note: Since I downsized the coaster from the originally suggested size for my mini citrus coasters, I only managed to fit seven segments of coloured felt and it worked out fine. :)
Sew each coloured segment into position through both the white (pith) felt circle and larger green felt circle.
You may wish to stuff each coaster with a little filling before you sew on the second larger green felt circle to the back. Ensure that the knots do not show at the back.
Finally, trim the circles to ensure that both larger green felt circles are of the same size all around the edges. It should look somewhat like this when done.
Note: Do not worry if the smaller coloured segments do not look equal - the imperfection helps make it more realistic, methinks. :)