"Chunky Book" Swap
I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but was a little worried about the logistics of it all... so maybe a group of us can try it out and see how it goes? </center>
<img src=http://i52.tinypic.com/30cafjm.png align=left><b>Q: What is a chunky book?</b>
A chunky book is (in most cases) a collaborative book in which each page is made by a different person. It's referred to as "chunky" because the pages often have embellishments that make them thick and a bunch of pages bound together make it pretty chunky. There are a few ways that chunky book swaps can be excecuted: A) Everyone sends their pages to a designated person who binds them all together and sends the completed product to each person when they are done, or B) Everyone sends their pages directly to their partners and each person assembles their own books. For this swap we will be going with method "B" since I am going to college at the end of next month and dont know if I'll have enough time to bind everything as with option "A". Oh - and the theme for the pages will be "quote". You can interpret this however you'd like whether it be incorporating your favorite quote(s) into your pages or even illustrating a quote.
- Must have completed at least one swap.
- <b>Open</b> to international swappers
- This swap will be limited to a total of 8 people (or less, depending on interest)
<img src=http://i52.tinypic.com/28gurg5.png align=right><b>Rates and dates:</b>
- Shipping for this swap will most likely be in the $5-$7 (USD) range.
- Sign-ups until July 31, if there are more than 8 people wanting to swap, I will go ahead and make 2 groups of swappers.
- Sendout: Wednesday, August 10th (it is okay to send early, but please avoid being late, if possible! :])
- You will create a total of 8 pages; You will keep one page for your own book, and send 7 away to your partners. (One page to each partner)
- Each page is 4in x 4in.
- When you recieve your pages, it will be your responsibility to put them together! (Ideas: yarn, ribbon, 'flashcard' rings, etc)
- Creating a cover for your chunky book is optional, though it can be a nice touch...
<img src=http://i53.tinypic.com/2lih0k6.png align=left><b>Other notes:</b>
- Remember to leave about a 1/2 inch of room on the left side of your page for binding; it doesnt need to be blank, just be aware that holes will probably be punched in this area depending on how your partner binds their book.
- While your cards should not be identical (ex: photocopying is a NONO!), it is <u>A-OK</u> for your cards to be similar!
- Remember: the front <i>and</i> back of your pages will be visible, so dont leave the back blank!
- A thick base is preferred for the pages. (pages of cardstock glued together, chipboard, cardboard, cut up cereal box/poster board, etc)
-Chunky books are meant to be chunky and 'messy'! Dont worry if you have ribbon/yarn/something else going off your page, it's a chunky book! Make a beautiful mess!
Name: (if different than CO+K name)
What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?: ;)
Be sure to message me(Regina) with your address. Once I get everyone's I will send out an email with all the addresses you will need to send to... easy enough, right?
- Open to international
- Theme: "Quote"
<u>- Sendout: 8/10</u>
- Make 7 4x4 pages to send to partners, and 1 to keep for yourself.</b>
<i>Picture Sources: <a href=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JbgQcrmDGG0/Sa3FxBC2ffI/AAAAAAAAA1I/PWYY4lyKcnw/s400/P1020627.JPG>One</a>, <a href=http://www.craftycrafty.tv/assets_c/2009/04/chunky-book-thumb-410x307-86631.jpg>Two</a>, <a href=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ntMOAcKc61Y/Sa38sAXFXPI/AAAAAAAAA0o/7-VEc4PC0GE/s400/Chunky+Book+page.jpg>Three</a></i>
<center>Please let me know if you have any questions or ideas!
... Sorry about being longwinded!</center>
Regina (US), abbers. (US), Cassie B. (US), Essex Debs (US), Dragonfly (NLD), Julie G (UK), Ariel B. (US), Libby W. (UK), ale_corason (MEX), Nikki :happy::UK)</b>
Groups will be announced on the 31st!
i would love to my first swap is to be sent out on august 1st though... so it will have been done before the send out date here (hint hint... crossing fingers)
Awww, Regina! You can't do this US only, I've been dying to try something like this for such a long time! I mean, it's just a book page, it can't be *that* heavy, can it? It can't be heavier than a happygram, for one
Well, I see two solutions:
-one, you open this swap to the international swappers that are willing to invest the shipping fee.
-two, I host the very same swap for EU swappers only, this way we make one for US and one for EU.
What do you guys think? Is any European swapper willing to join this swap apart from me?
Your swap is set up very nicely! It sounds like a lot of fun!
Name: Cassie Burt
Location: TN, USA
What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?: My hubby watching a movie lol
(PS If you decide to change it to international I don't mind the added shipping cost...which really isn't too much)
I agree with Mary, it doesn't seem fair to the people outside of the US to only allow people inside the US to participate
I'm with Mary. I would LOVE to try this swap.
It sounds great to end up having such a book.
sounds like a fun project
This is the first time I've seen a swap on here for US members only!!!
Normally, anyone can sign up and then partners are arranged depending on their own preferences for postage.
Listening to:Birds in the yard and the laptop gently humming
Woke up this morning thinking about a book swap and here it is ;0)
Well, the way I see it, we could all sign up and then if we have enough people we could do a EU group and a US group. Or something like that. Anyway, I'm signing up:
Name: Mary ;)
What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?: the birds in the park outside my window, and the cars passing in the street.
Ahhhhh! I'm sorrrrrrryyyy! x) I wasnt entirely sure how this swap would pan out, so I was thinking this would be a test swap to see how everything goes. To be honest, I wasnt expecting so much interest... As long as everyone is willing to pay the extra postage, I dont have a problem with allowing international swappers to join; I didnt think very many people would want to commit to a 'spendier' swap, but I was wrong! Haha.
SO - <b>this swap is now open to international swappers</b>; I will go ahead and change the swap info. ^_^
What does everyone think about the "8 person in a group" limit? If there are enough people I was planning on making a "Group 2", OR we could make a larger swapping group... opinions?
Adaptation is everything in swapping ! Well done Regina.
Am I right to sign up we need to fill out
What are you listening to right now ?:
Thanks a bunch Regina: )
Name: Abbie Ivey
Location: Ohio, USA
What are you listening to right now ?: phineus and ferb on tv lol
@Debbie: Thanks! And yes, anyone who wants to sign up should fill out the 'sign up form'. Just as a confirmation so I dont need to make assumptions about who wants to swap and who doesnt.
Location: The Netherlands
What are you listening to right now ?: The humming of my lamp and Dreamer by Elysion
We'd love to know what you think - Leave your reply right away